Temporary Custody by Extended Family Member

The Florida Statutes recognizes that many minor children in Florida live with and are being cared for by members of their extended families and not their parents. Sometimes, circumstances with the parents are such that they cannot care for their children and they have to place their children with another family member on a temporary basis who is better able to care for them. An extended family member has no legal rights as to the child in his/her care and must therefore obtain a temporary custody order from the circuit court.

When an extended family member obtains a temporary custody order, that family member gets physical custody of the minor child and is now able to:

  • a. Consent to all necessary and reasonable medical, dental and psychiatric care for the child.
  • b. Obtain copies of the child’s records, held by third parties that are necessary for the care of the child to include, but not limited to: medical, dental and psychiatric records, birth certificates educational records and other records.
  • c. Enroll the child in school and grant or withhold consent for a child to be tested or placed in special school programs, including exceptional education.
  • d. Do any and all other things necessary for the care of the child .

Temporary Custody Attorney Fort Lauderdale, FL

The founder of our law firm, Karen D. Faulkner is an experienced Fort Lauderdale Family Law Attorney. She has been helping families resolve their differences in and out of court for over twenty years. If you need help in your temporary custody by extended family member case, please contact our law office by calling 954-772-3666 or send us an email to kdfaulknerlaw@gmail.com today!

The Law Office of Karen D. Faulkner, P.A. | 2801 N. University Drive, Suite 203, Coral Springs, FL 33065 | Phone: 954-772-3666
Our Office Hours: | Monday through Friday | 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.